Monday, October 11, 2010

6/12 hours of Addison Oaks



Ahh Addison Oaks. One of my favorite endurance races. The trail is just fun, and the weather being perfect this year made it that much better. Last year it was cold and damp. I woke up, got the rest of my stuff ready and went out to load the bike on the car and noticed a flat. Stupid Moab thorns!!! Fixed that and hurried to the venue, only to arrive late. The registration line was long! The weather brought everyone out. Got registered in time to slap my number plate on and get ready to roll. Had a good pace on lap 1, until toward the end when a guy crashed on an uphill in front of me. There was nowhere to go so I stopped, waited for him to get up when some dildo that couldnt wait 10 seconds tried to ride off trail around while telling us to move, ends up crashing and his bike cracks me in the anke. Douchebag. Hope he broke his carbon frame. Started thinking this is not the way for my day to start, but settled into a good pace for the first 4 laps. Sometime toward the end of my 5th lap I started cramping up. Bad. Gravel grinder like cramps. Stopped after number 5 for about 30 minutes, layed on the ground, drank alot, popped some endurolytes, rolled a painful 6th lap, 7, 8 and 9 were a little painful but ok, rolled the 10th with some slight cramping to finish in 3rd. The 1st place guy did 12 laps, just flying, think the second place guy was maybe 20 minutes ahead of me. Was a really tough day. My cardio feels great, my legs have been an issue. Still, weather was perfect, seen alot of familar faces. Chris Maltby was in good form as usual, seen him eating soup and reading a book about mid way through. Even so he still rocked 100 miles, including a scaling of the fence to get cider and doughnuts mid race!
I ended up with about 70 miles of singletrack. Not bad for as bad as I was hurting. Need to ride my bike more!

Shaun

2 comments:

  1. I found a pic, figured I'd add it to your post. Good job dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Chris Maltby was taking some. I cant wear the thd jersey, after the Waterford CX race there are pictures of me all over those photographer sites with my belly hanging out! Jersey is too short! Shorts are comfy though.

    ReplyDelete