Sunday, October 16, 2011

Linden Cyclocross Debachle

The awful smell coming from the outhouse that covered over half of the race course should have been a sign of bad things to come for me today at the Tailwind Cyclocross race in Linden. But after a couple of warm-up laps, I stripped a few layers off and foolishly lined up at the starting line. Looking around, I counted only 5 other guys in the 39 and under C-Class and thought to myself "I can't do much worse than 6Th!"


Myroo's Nemesis




So the bell went off and I immediately found myself in 6Th place. I swapped places with some kid on a mountain bike who couldn`t stay upright to save his life for a lap or two and then he dropped me like a bad habit. As I maneuvered the root-covered course, I began experiencing ghost-shifting in my middle gears. On top of that, my left cleat was loose and I was popping out of my pedal every few minutes. As crappy of a job as I was doing, I somehow managed to keep pedaling.


My Garmin Data, for you to laugh at...

The Cyclo-Wiz, sporting his Santa Pants, rocketed by me on his Single Speed sleigh and I did my best to hang on his wheel for the last two laps. After that attempt failed, I really had nothing left to do but be lapped by the leader. In a last ditch effort, I somehow managed to avoid being lapped, stayed on the lead lap and get to the finish line exactly where I thought I would...6Th!



Shaun Rockin' The B Class



After the race, we hopped in the CR-V and pointed her to the nearest Buffalo Wild Wings, where we all pretty much drownded our sorrows in Beer and Wings (Jalapeno Flavor is HOT!). In hopes of some good Karma for Mad Anthony next weekend, we donated a few bucks to help fight childhood cancer in the name of Hot Dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment