Saturday, March 27, 2010

Team Hot Dog DOMINATES Barry-Roubaix

As the waitress was pouring our first glass of my favorite recovery drink, Raspberry Celis, I was checking out the results of this year's Barry-Roubaix. I know I didn't quite crack the top 50%, but I felt good. I eventually found my name towards the bottom of the list and mentioned to JRAD that I was a bit disappointed that I didn't place much higher...But the more we talked (and drank), the more pleased I was with how well the whole day went.

Despite my issues pouring Cytomax allover the back of JRAD's car and somehow managing to Chamois Butt'r my belly button, this was just simply one of the most fun races I've ever done.


We started out with a slow roll out of Yankee Springs Recreation Area and headed down some paved roads ....This was probably the flattest part of the whole trail. Almost immediately after the roll out, we started climbing and climbing and climbing. There was a crazy 2-track section of wall to wall spandex, sand, hills and crashes! This was probably one of two sections I remember thinking "Damn, I wish I had some fatter tires! Or some Fat Tire Ale!!!" After we finally got through that section, we started climbing...again.

In between hills and struggling to breathe, I managed to talk to a few riders who had done this race before and they warned me of the "big hill at the end." Thankfully, I didn't realize I was even on the "big hill at the end" until I was halfway up it! Once we got to the top, I used my big ring to my advantage and made up for lost time. A hop, skip and a breeze past McKibbins (for all your Automobile needs!) and we were at the finish line! just a shade over 2:30, 35 miles and over 2,000ft. of climbing for one hell of a race.

Perhaps the only real disappointment of the day was the Hot Dog stand at the finish line, which wrapped halfway around the building. Sure we're Team Hot Dog, but a half hour wait for Dogs is not my style. Next race, we'll bring our own!


Props to JRAD and MYROO for represent'n tHD. Bring on the Team Kits!!!




- Steve

2 comments:

  1. Great write up Steve! I really wish I was there with you guys, sounds like you had an awesome time. I really enjoyed looking up all your times and seeing "Team Hot Dog... Wheeee!" next to all of your names.

    All you need is a weiner on your jerseys, and you are all set. Hopefully in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Team Hot Dog! Count me in next year.

    ReplyDelete