Sunday, May 23, 2010

All rest and no biking makes Steve a Dull Boy...

It's hard to believe I survived a whole month off the bike. Thinking back to that day when it all went horribly wrong for me, I never would have thought I'd be in this rough of shape one month later. Weeks and weeks of Ice Packs and Ibuprofen, a Cortisone shot and plenty of rest did nothing to fix me. But today was supposed to hit 80 degrees and I think the wife knew that I needed some major cycle-therapy or else I would end up like Jack Torrence from the Shining.




So against the advice of my Physical Therapist and against my better judgement as well, we donned our sausage casings, put the bikes on top of the CR-V and headed out to Indian Springs for an easy roll down the paved trail. Naturally, the "brainiacs" at the Metro Park are doing their annual idiotic-closing-of-the-trail-for-the-summer so we could only ride about 1 mile before being forced to turn around. Instead of being law-breaking Hot Dogs and blowing through the "Trail Closed" sign, we decided to hop on the road and head out to the dirt roads.



Since this was the first ride of the year for the wife, and my knee was questionable at best, we stuck to a slow and steady pace. Heading up the last hill in The Springs, we passed up an older gentleman who asked me for a lift to the top and I guess he dug the tHD jersey on the wife...Can't say I blamed him!




We rolled down Cuthbert Road and hit Hillsboro road (got to see Elvis for the first time in a month!) before turning around at Shaffer Rd. and heading back. The knee was giving me some difficulties on the hills and I didn't want to get greedy and push it too much. Hit the parking lot and packed it in with a little over 9 miles in us. So far, so good!

- Steve

1 comment: