Sunday, June 20, 2010

Biggest Hanson Hills in Michigan!

After seeing our hopes and dreams of racing the Lumberjack 100 fade into oblivion and having nothing else to do with that open weekend, the Geriatric division of Team Hot Dog, along with our lovely wife's, descended upon tHD's "Northern Lower Michigan Training Facility" to log some training miles and strategies the rest of our season. Our plan was to hit Hanson Hills on Saturday morning and then the Mid-Michigan Community College trail on Sunday.

Since tHD's team nutritionist was off for the weekend, we decided to head up to G's pizza to carb load for all of the miles we were about to log. After a mean pie, some broccoli "nuggets" and a few pitchers of beer, we hit Wal Mart for some rations and then headed home for a night-cap of Fat Tire (gore) Ale.


The next morning came and I apparently had too many "carbs" the night before and felt a little "flu-ish." There was no sign of Doug and I think I was missing a tooth. The details were a little fuzzy but I also think there's was a tiger in the bathroom. Anyways, I medicated myself with an assortment of Gatorade/Water/Advil/One spoonful of Cereal/Chocolate Milk/PowerBar Bites and by the time we hit the foothills of Hanson Hills, I was ready to take on whatever lied ahead...or so I thought!

We spandex'd up in the parking lot, mounted our trusty 2-wheeled torture devices and hit the trail at a moderate to slow speed. We quickly encountered a gentleman who, as he was heading right for us, informed us that it was apparently a two-way trail! After he passed and we determined he was mentally unstable, we resumed our pace and winded our way up the many hills that Hanson had in store for us. Besides hills, it also had one thing that would prove to be my lovely wife's kryptonite....SAND!

At around the 2 mile mark we encountered our first crash of what would be a LONG weekend of crashes...I personally don't remember all that happened but apparently a sand-monster reached up and grabbed Melissa's bike and tossed her off. After a few moments to clean up the blood and tears, she got back on the horse, I mean bike. As the trail winded on, we made sure to warn the sand-monsters that tHD was coming by yelling "SAND" every time we saw a pit, which I think the wife appreciated. :)

At around mile 7 (I think...) when we got to "Napper" bridge, I wanted to take a video for the blog for all of our adoring fans! (Hi Mom and Dad!) Thanks to Julie, this video is brought to you in true tHD fashion....Wheeeeeeeeee!



It just took a few more miles of sweet northern Michigan singletrack and we were back to the parking lot for a group photo. Snacks on Snacks, as they say! I really enjoyed Hanson Hills and am hoping to make it up for the 12/24 Hours of Hanson Hills if my knees cooperate.....



Link to my Garmin Data




To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment