Sunday, June 20, 2010

I think I grew chest hairs 4 and 5 this year at Lumberjack...

My Lumberjack race didnt exactly go as I wanted. First lap I was feeling good until about mile 30, started getting a little upset stomach. Came into the pits with a great lap time of about 2:47, headed out for my second lap and was feeling like total, well I wont curse but you get the idea. I kept heaving up the only thing that I was eating, the sustained energy. I have used it in the past with good results, but not today. The only thing I could think of was I mixed it a little thicker for the longer lap. Either way I made it to the aide station on lap 2 which was about 50 miles into the race at this point, and was ready to quit, but I hung out there for 5-10 minutes, had some fruit, a small cup of coke, some water, and finished up lap 2 painfully slow at 3:21. After a break after lap 2 I felt "ok" to go out and finish it up. Finally started feeling better after the aide station on lap 3, and rode the last 17 miles like a cross country race, all out. Rode most of the hills, which were torture, put 11 minutes on a fellow racer I knew at the aide station, and passed about 15 people, total time 0f 9:27. My moving time was about 9:04. Stupid breaks!

I learned alot this year, being my first time on a geared bike. A 1x9 with the smallest gear of 32x32 is a horrible setup on hills that are longer than a mile. Was way too big of a gear. Talking with Chris Maltby he was spinning a 22x32 on the hills he said. (His time was 8:25, awesome time). So next year I will be running a full 3x9 setup. Would have been nice at the end. And also I will be going back to the basics of bananas and power bars in my pockets. They never seem to do me wrong. Also, mental toughness. I wanted to quit, everything hurt but I suffered through, miles 30-80, and was glad I did. I finished strong.

Time to rest my sore everything. Is this supposed to be fun? Hmmm...

Sorry, I have no pictures.

Peace out.

4 comments:

  1. I am proud of you for hanging in there and finishing. If you were ever to actually train properly I think you would kick arse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea maybe, too busy to train though! I still beat my finishing time from 2 years about by an hour and 15 minutes. Next year. I wasnt too far behind some really fast guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Shaun! Mentally tough? Yeah, I'd say you definitely were. That's a victory in itself, overcoming that and sticking it out. Way to go! Now that you've proved how tough you are, the Tree Farm Relay is calling your name. (It is alot of fun)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe ill hammer the farm relay. Right now, I want to throw my bike in the lake! I am a little dissapointed with my LJ time but glad I stuck it out. Builds character. Next up, O2S.

    ReplyDelete