Friday, April 15, 2011

Florida Is FLAT




Well, since this is my first post be confident that I may mess this up.

Anyway on with the show. Recently the family unit went on vacation to lovely Sanibel Island, Florida.

This Island has no street lights (Traffic Signals) and when you first get on the island via a 3 mile causeway cost $6. The first sign you see is that if you don't yield to pedestrians or cyclists you will get a $80 fine.

Well this is Friendly I thought, but after running around the island in a subcompact car that seats 6 people and gets about 30 mile to the gallon, I realized that this was extremely cyclist friendly (yes I used the word extremely).

On an island that only 7 miles long it has 26miles of paved cycling paths.

If i sound like i am bragging, Forgive me, bit more history so hold on:
this Island is 2/3 Nature Refuge, with abundant wildlife, including Alligators, Manatee's, occasional Team Hot Dog Cyclist.

The Nightlife is Loud and crazy, swear I heard what sounded like a monkey laughing at me, in the dark.


Coolest part was the Alligator that greeted us every time we went down the street. I noticed there were no feral animals around anywhere huh?
When we got in to the house on the first day there was a 5' Black racer snake getting a drink from the pool in the middle of the afternoon sun, my girls were like nah we'll swim later.

Again crazy wildlife!, Its everywhere down there.

I got to ride a mountain bike (loaner) a total of 16miles on the island and there was a lot more to explore, if you looking for a low key unwind cycling destination try Sanibel Island.

There are 2 bike shops on the island, another on Captiva, and the best part is that the lack of chain restaurants allows you to pursue adventurous cuisine, mostly seafood.

Oh the fishing was effortless if you like that sort of recreation, I know a great fishing guide.

By the way its FLAT and the only hill was on the causeway coming over to the island, the greatest challenge was trying not to run over the Box Tortoise on the paths.

Enjoy the fun of cycling this spring, Wheeeee!

5 comments:

  1. Well I learned that if you enjoy the nightlife on Sanibel, monkey's will laugh at you. They are probably dressed as pirates too. But we'll never know, because it was dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I know is... That is one big paragraph with lots of commas! And.... the Island is bicycle friendly:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need photos of these Pirate Monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First rule Dealing with Pirate Monkey's....


    Protect your BANANA !!!!!

    ReplyDelete