Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Lumberjack 66

Team Hot Dog rolled into the Big M in true Rock and Roll (McDonalds) style for the 2011 Lumberjack 100. Granted, there weren't any screaming fans, chicks asking us to sign their b00bs, paparazzi or any of that cool stuff. Having Shaun's Dad's R.V. was a real nice perk to have at the course, no question. We tossed our coolers in the pits, caught the pre-race meeting and then headed a few miles down the road for the roll-out. I don't think any of us had breakfast...Who really needs breakfast before racing 100 miles anyways?

The 7:00 start came fast and furious as Myroo, JRAD and I quickly settled into the back of the pack for what was to be a long day on the bike. Our strategy was going to be "slow and steady" and it worked for the first lap. The course was in great shape, the weather was amazing and we were feeling good. About halfway through lap 1, we somehow stumbled upon Shaun's number plate (#227) on the trail that looked all beat to hell. We dropped it off at the aide station and hoped that he was still out there and that he wasn't attacked by the Udell Hills Sasquatch. Once we rolled into the pits, we took a nice and easy break, filled up our bottles, re-applied generous amounts of Chamois Butt'r and then I spotted my parents who came down to visit. Seeing them there gave me all the mental boost I needed to get back out and give it all I had.

Shortly after we left the pits, I jammed on my rear break and it made an awful squealing noise. I had heard this noise once before when my brake pads had completely worn out. Sure enough, that was the case. Who needs rear brakes anyways, right? No problem....what else could go wrong???

So, if a tree falls in the woods on top of 2/3'rds of Team Hot Dog, would it make a sound? JRAD and I came disastrously close to finding out on our second lap. As if our heart rates weren't already elevated from riding, a random tree branch (and by branch, think small-car size) decided to fall within inches of us. About 10 miles later, we were passed by the leaders who were on their last lap. A little demotivating, to say the least but we weren't out there to win the damn thing...We just wanted to finish. After fueling up on some oreos and coke at the aide station is where my knees really started to tell me my day was over. I threw a couple of hints and facial expressions to JRAD for the remaining miles and I think he understood exactly what they meant.

We got back into the pits with minutes to spare before the lap 3 cut-off time. Sure we could have gone back out but my knees were shot and jrad was feeling the burn. They were serving Burritos and Founders All Day IPA...What would you do? After stuffing my face and sharing a beer with my Father on Father's Day Weekend (AWESOME!), my folks headed back home and we headed to the campground to de-stink in Sand Lake and sacrifice the Tubed Meats to our swollen pro-racing bellies.


I'm excited that I FINALLY, after 3 years of problems, got a chance to start this race. Bummed that I didn't get to finish it but I consider that motivation for next year. As we were slamming down what could have been the best Cinnamon Roll EVER at the Kozy Kitchen the following morning, an ominous photo was perched over our heads signaling that it was yet again time to "RIGHT THE SHIP!"
- Steve

2 comments:

  1. Way to go guys. Very impressive. Should be proud of yourselves for even lining up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive indeed to line up after a few years of attempting. After some bad luck at Ore 2 Shore 48... I'm finally giving in and doing 28. I believe some races just have it in for us... so glad the LJ tree branch had a bad day and missed the hotdogs. We'll be on Team Hotdog watch at RAT!

    ReplyDelete