Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Couple of Hot Dogs And Some Heinz...I mean Hines

Met up for JRAD for some Barry Roubaix "training." We decided to roll down the I-275 pathway out to Hines Drive. We planned to keep going until we hit 18 miles on our garmin, then roll back to the car. I was excited to hit the 275 pathway since I haven't been on it since my folks, sister and I would cruise it WAY back in the day.

The path was in real good shape with only a few downed trees and snowbank obstacles. When we got on Hines, the road was mostly dry and surprisingly void of any cycling traffic. At the turnaround spot about 18 miles in, the wind kicked up and I slipped into a deep and dark place in my mind. My quads were on fire and my calves felt like they were going to burst. I shoved a whole packet of frozen Cliff Bloks in my pie-hole and kept pedaling until I was able to focus again but it was over with...I felt cooked.

We decided to roll back through Northville for a change of scenery and I reluctantly agreed to follow along. The last section of Hines Drive had what must have been one of the biggest hills in Michigan on it. All I remember was seeing JRAD take off like a friggin' rocket and I was left in the dust. Thank goodness for granny gear and no traffic because I really felt like throwing myself in the way of oncoming traffic at this point.

Somehow, we made it back to the car...I think I blacked out for a few miles. Amazed that I just went from winter-couch-potato to pedaling 37 miles, I was pretty proud of my accomplishment. In celebration and in true Team Hot Dog fashion, the wife and I hit up Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner and Dairy Queen for some dessert.



Roadhouse,
Steve

1 comment:

  1. Nice ride guys. Way to right the ship. You did finish if all off with a sixer?

    ReplyDelete